News IMN - a dynamic supportive network for Indigenous, Native American, Aboriginal, and First Nations map enthusiasts. http://indigenousmapping.net/the-news.html Sun, 13 Feb 2011 08:54:51 +0000 Joomla! 1.5 - Open Source Content Management en-gb Nomination Results of Tribal Members to NPS Cultural Resource Geospatial Standards Committee http://indigenousmapping.net/the-news/latestnews/225-nomresults.html http://indigenousmapping.net/the-news/latestnews/225-nomresults.html Let me just clarify that the Federal Geographic Data Committee is not a Federal agency, but a committee whose members represent Federal agencies. We are simply seeking Tribal advice and technical assistance as we move forward in the creation of cultural resource spatial data standards. These standards and this work group are not directed toward any one Tribe, but we would appreciate having Tribal perspective in our discussions. Anything produced by the work group in the way of standards would only affect Federal agencies and it would be the choice of the Tribes to use the information generated or seek their own path.

The Cultural Resource GIS Facility sought out Tribal participation in the formation of this FGDC work group through other sources in the past but did not get many responses. It was suggested to us that we come to the IMN for help. Because of the overwhelming response that we did get through the IMN however we felt that it should not be the NPS or our office that chose Tribal representatives, but the Tribes themselves, which is why the IMN developed the voting system that many of you participated in. I provided the IMN with a list of all those who had volunteered directly to me so that the IMN could choose who they would like to participate in the work group to represent themselves.  I provided the IMN with the information that each of the volunteers gave me, which is why some individuals have more background description than others.

In order to accommodate as many as we can in the small work group, we have offered to each Tribe or region represented, the opportunity to nominate one or several people.  Regardless of how many names may be associated with a Tribe or region, that Tribe or region will have one vote. This is the same for each State and Federal agency. Each will have one vote when any decisions need to be made by the committee.  In this way, the Tribes can designate for themselves one person to voice their vote, but can have several people to participate in the process.  This is why you saw one or two names listed for a single Tribe in the voting.

The work group members are:

  • Robert Thrower (Poarch Band of Creek Indians)
  • Jill Wagner/John Hartman (Coeur d'Alene Tribe)
  • Sandra Gaskell (Southern Sierra Miwuk)
  • Jeff Cronce (Nez Perce Tribe)
  • Elaina Albers (Yurok Tribe)
  • Vernalee Grant (San Carlos Apache Tribe)
  • Dawn Sherk (White Earth Nation)
  • David Wyatt (Eastern Band of Cherokee Indians)
  • Navajo Nation (to decide/share between three people)
  • Alaska – Denise Rankin (Qawalangin Tribe of Unalaska) (to decide/share between three people)

Peer member recommendations that were identified in the voting effort or through direct email enquiry include:

  • Alaska - Jacob Ivanoff, GIS, Bering Strait NSEDC; Bob Sattler, Staff Archaeologist, Tanana Chiefs Conference
  • Northwest - David Lewis, Confederated Tribes of the Grande Ronde
  • Pacific - Mike Connolly, Campo Band of Kumeyaay Indians; Patricia Ann Garcia-Tuck, Director/THPO, Agua Caliente Band of Cahuilla Indians
  • Rocky Mountain - Don Sam, Confederated Salish and Kootenai; Don Aragon, Wind River Reservation; Little Shell Tribe of Chippewa Indians of Montana; John Murray THPO Blackfeet Tribe
  • Southwest - India Lou Comosono, Archives-GIS, Pueblo of Zuni; Holly Houghten, THPO and Earl Bell from Mescalero Apache Tribe; Ute Mountain Ute Tribe
  • Great Plains - Jhon Goes In Center, Oglala Lakota Tribe of the Pine Ridge Reservation; Brady Grant, THPO, Turtle Mt Reservation; Debra Dirlam, Office of the Environment Director, Lower Sioux Indian Community; Spirit Lake Sioux; Marcie Carter
  • Southern Plains - Karen Kaniatobe, THPO, Comanche Nation; Harlan McKosato; LaDonna TallBear, GIS/GPS Technician, and Eleanor Lefthand Bianchi, Elder, Cheyenne & Arapaho Tribes of Oklahoma
  • Eastern Oklahoma - Terry Cole, THPO, Choctaw Nation of Oklahoma; Darin West, Environmental and Natural Resources Dept, Osage Nation; Frank Harjo, Muscogee (Creek) Nation; Nancy John, Cherokee Nation
  • Midwest - Matt Eitrem, Bad River Tribe
  • Northeast - Tina Pierce, Nanticoke Lenni-Lenape; Arnold L. Printup, THPO, The Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe

To those of you who volunteered but did not end up in the work group, we value your opinions greatly and hope that you would consider participating in the larger peer group.

The peer group would not be involved in the heart of the work group activities, but would be able to review and comment on anything that the work group produced.  Once again I must thank the IMN for providing a forum for this peer group to continue discussing amongst yourselves and listening and commenting to what the work group is doing.

I would encourage you to register for the forum by joining that peer group, which will remain open to as many of you who would like to participate. It will continue to grow throughout the entire process.  The effort by the Cultural Resource Standards Committee could take about three years.

The list of those who have already registered in the forum, who are part of the work or peer group, is available on the IMN and can be found here:

http://bit.ly/d8RXTS

If you do not see your name and you are a work or want to be a peer group member, please join the online dialogue at

http://bit.ly/aHFxwr

Once the work group is finalized, I will organize a teleconference for the work group to orient everyone, introduce the FGDC, introduce the concept of spatial data transfer standards and update everyone on the basic principles that were outlined in 2009 in our initial meeting of Federal agencies as well as State and Tribal Historic Preservation Officers.  From there, we hope that the work group can develop a work plan and take a look at the FGDC standard creation process.  I hope to hold that meeting in late September or early October 2010.

Once again I would like to thank the Network and all of those who volunteered to be part of this process, either through the work group or the peer group.  We are grateful for your advice and perspective.  I will continue to keep the IMN informed via the forum regarding anything that the work group does.  If you have any questions, please let me know: 202-354-2141.

We look forward to continuing to work with the IMN!

Thank you,

Deidre McCarthy, GISP

Cultural Resource GIS Facility

Heritage Documentation Programs

National Park Service

]]>
itsacuener1x@gmail.com (Deidre McCarthy, posted by Rosemarie McKeon) Latest Wed, 15 Sep 2010 14:17:45 +0000
Esri Nonprofit Organization Program - Nonprofits serving Tribal Communities http://indigenousmapping.net/the-news/gissolutions/224-esri-nonprofit-organization-program-nonprofits-serving-tribal-communities.html http://indigenousmapping.net/the-news/gissolutions/224-esri-nonprofit-organization-program-nonprofits-serving-tribal-communities.html Esri Nonprofit Organization Program

ESRI is pleased to announce a new Nonprofit Organization Program which aims to make its leading GIS mapping technology available to diverse Nonprofit Organizations around the globe.  This is a continuation and extension of the long legacy at Esri of supporting nonprofits to utilize GIS to support the important work that they do around the world.  This program was announced by Jack Dangermond, Esri’s President and Founder at the Gov 2.0 event on Sept. 9th, 2010 (Video).  Please note that US Federally Recognized Tribal Governments will continue to obtain software at no cost through the US Dept. of Interior however Nonprofit Organizations which serve Tribal Communities are eligible for support through this program.

 This offering waives commercial fees for Esri’s software, which is offered to qualifying Nonprofit Organizations for a low annual administrative fee.  For example the ArcInfo version of ArcGIS Desktop Mapping software which is commercially valued at over $36,000 (including all extensions) is offered to eligible Nonprofit Organizations for an annual $100 administrative fee.  A comparable offering for ArcGIS Server Advanced Enterprise provides Nonprofits with a complete GIS system for the management, visualization, analysis, and dissemination of GIS information that extends from the Desktop to the web, mobile devices and the cloud.  It provides organizations with the ability to share their activities with donors and the communities they serve by publishing geospatial web services and through interactive web mapping applications and dashboards, and mobile solutions.  Additionally, this program provides organization-wide offerings through a series of Enterprise Licensing Packages whereby a Nonprofit Organization can obtain hundreds of desktop mapping licenses, a set of GIS servers, and technical support for a set annual fee.

For more information on other discounts and training options for Nonprofits please visit the following website: www.esri.com/nonprofit/ or contact:

David Gadsden - ESRI
Nonprofit / Native American / Global Affairs
606 Columbia Street NW, Suite 300

Olympia WA, 98501, USA
Phone: 360.754.4727 x8911
Email: dgadsden@esri.com

Skype: david_gadsden

]]>
itsacuener1x@gmail.com (David Gadsden) GIS Solutions Fri, 10 Sep 2010 21:22:05 +0000
Seeking Tribal Representatives to Participate in Creating Federal Agency-wide Cultural Resource Spatial Data Standards http://indigenousmapping.net/the-news/latestnews/222-fgdcculturaltribalrep.html http://indigenousmapping.net/the-news/latestnews/222-fgdcculturaltribalrep.html   Our office works primarily with State, Tribal and other NPS groups to institute the use of GIS and GPS into cultural resource management practices.  We provide GIS and GPS training and work closely with various groups to apply these technologies to document cultural resources throughout the US.

Currently we are working on an important project to create cultural resource spatial data standards through the Federal Geographic Data Committee (FGDC).  The NPS is chairing a cultural resource subcommittee of the FGDC whose primary purpose is to build these standards.  We are currently seeking Tribal representatives to participate in the standard creation process through a work group that will be composed of Federal agencies, State Historic Preservation Offices, Tribal representatives and local governments.  Your participation would not require travel to Washington, DC (where the subcommittee is based), but would include participation in scheduled teleconferences and review of materials produced by the work group.  We feel strongly that any FGDC cultural resource spatial data standard must incorporate Tribal perspectives, concerns and ideas and hope that your interest in the topic will contribute heavily to the process.  This important effort will have lasting impact on the exchange of cultural resource data between Federal agencies, States and Tribes who wish to share data, making that data sharing more efficient and much faster.  Particularly in times of disasters, such as the Gulf oil spill, data is needed quickly to ensure that critical cultural resources are protected.  We hope that these standards will allow for the protection of resources, security of data and improved communication regarding cultural resources throughout the historic preservation community.

<>One of the primary projects that the Cultural Resource GIS Facility has been working on for several years is the creation of cultural resource spatial data standards.  OMB Circular A-16 designates the National Park Service as the lead agency for the cultural resource spatial data theme, through the Federal Geographic Data Committee (FGDC).  Our office has been given the task of working to create cultural resource spatial data standards as part of this role of a lead agency.  We began working on the issue some years ago, focusing on the National Park Service cultural resource spatial data to test our ideas and begin getting our own data in order.  However, we also began talking with other Federal agencies, State and Tribal Historic Preservation Offices and private organizations in 2006 and 2007 to work toward developing some consensus on what larger FGDC cultural resource standards should look like and what they should focus on.

In December 2007 we drafted a proposal to the FGDC explaining the need for the creation of cultural resource spatial data standards, and explaining the decentralized nature of cultural resource data stewardship within the US, discussing that the States and Tribes hold the majority of the data for instance.  Any standards created through the FGDC apply only to Federal agencies in terms of needing to comply with the standards, but we felt strongly that because cultural resource data is held by the States and Tribes primarily, obviously they needed to be included in the discussion as well and help to formulate any such standards. The original proposal is posted on the FGDC website: http://www.fgdc.gov/standards/projects/FGDC-standards-projects/cultural-resources/cultural-resources-home

In February 2008 the FGDC Standards Working Group approved our proposal and established the cultural resource spatial data standards project as an official FGDC project within the Subcommittee for Cultural and Demographic Data.  In March 2009 we held a summit meeting to begin developing some consensus and attempting to define a path forward.  In the March 2009 meeting we had approximately 75 participants from Federal, State, and Tribal agencies as well as private organizations.

Several conclusions came from the March 2009 meeting, the first being that we need to focus first on data transfer standards that would allow us to share data among Federal, State and Tribal organizations, should we need or choose to, rather than data content standards.  Second, we needed to form a cultural resource work group within the Subcommittee on Cultural and Demographic Data.  Many participants of the March 2009 meeting offered to also join in the work group, however we are seeking greater participation from the Tribal communities to make sure that your voice is heard and incorporated into the standard process.

We hope to keep the size of the work group to a manageable number, around 40 individuals.  This group would responsible primarily for the construction of the standards and will include Federal, State, Tribal, and local agencies.  We do not anticipate that the work group would take a significant amount of time from anyone's schedules and we anticipate that most meetings would be held through teleconferences.  We do feel strongly however that the Tribal perspective must be part of any standard creation process.

It was also suggested at our March 2009 meeting that we form a larger peer review group that would review any products coming from the work group before they went for public review.  We would anticipate that this group would be much more inclusive and be much larger.  This group would not necessarily be responsible for creating the standards, but it would provide comment, feedback and ideas for the work group to incorporate into the process.

If you are interested in participating in the work group or the peer review group, we would very much like to hear from you.  Our space on the work group is rather limited, but we feel that Tribal perspectives are very important to take into account.  Because we do not have this expertise, we would appreciate any participation you could offer.  If you have any suggestions of those you think would be interested in participating, or if there are any questions I can answer, please contact me.  We are hoping to have the work group participants finalized by September, however the peer group participants are much more open ended.

You can reach me at:

deidre_mccarthy@nps.gov
202-354-2141

To give you some background, here is a link to an article that discusses the process that we went through in creating cultural resource spatial data transfer standards for the NPS and how that parallels this FGDC process: http://crmjournal.cr.nps.gov/Print.cfm?articleIDN=5224

Thank you for your consideration,

Deidre McCarthy, GISP
Cultural Resource GIS Facility
Heritage Documentation Programs
National Park Service


]]>
itsacuener1x@gmail.com (Deidre McCarthy posted by Rosemarie McKeon) Latest Wed, 25 Aug 2010 18:07:46 +0000
Native American Friends - Get Ready for Geoscience Alliance 2010 http://indigenousmapping.net/the-news/latestnews/221-geoscience2010.html http://indigenousmapping.net/the-news/latestnews/221-geoscience2010.html
The conference dates are September 16-18, 2010 and will be held at the Black Bear Casino Resort Hotel in Carlton, Minnesota. The resort/casino is owned & operated by the Fond du Lac Band of Lake Superior Chippewa.

Geoscience Aliiance 2010 Logo

Registration, agenda,  and travel awards are available at:

http://www.nced.umn.edu/content/geoscience-alliance-2010-conference

According to Dr. Suzanne Zurn-Birkhimer, Deputy Director of the Purdue Center for Faculty Success, the conference will focus on four main themes:

Empowerment through Education: Shaping a Native voice in the United States on Education and the Environment

Native Students --our Next Generation of Environmental Leaders: Broadening Participation--Challenges and Strategies

How and Why We Count: Strategies for creating Native Friendly Evaluation

Science and Culture: How weaving traditional knowledge and culture into science can broaden participation and transform understandings

I will be attending the event, representing Indigenous Mapping Network (having landed one of the travel grants) and plan to cover the presentations and talks during the event. Let me know if you want to hear about a particular item on the agenda!



]]>
itsacuener1x@gmail.com (Rosemarie McKeon) Latest Wed, 18 Aug 2010 00:33:18 +0000
Charting the Salish Sea: An Investigation into the Cultural/Political Implications of Place Naming http://indigenousmapping.net/the-news/latestnews/220-salishseaplacename.html http://indigenousmapping.net/the-news/latestnews/220-salishseaplacename.html
My name is Brian Tucker and I am a Research Assistant working under the direction of Dr. Reuben Rose-Redwood, an Assistant Professor of Geography at the University of Victoria, in British Columbia, Canada. We are currently conducting research on the cultural and political implications of place naming, with a specific focus on the recent designation of the Salish Sea. We seek to document the opinions and perspectives of different groups regarding the Salish Sea, and we are particularly interested in how this new place name is perceived by members of different indigenous communities both in the United States and Canada.

If you are interested in taking part in this study, you will be asked to participate in an interview session in which I will ask a series of questions, following an open-ended conversational format where you may respond and provide your insight on the topic we are researching. I anticipate the interview to last about 1 hour.

Upon the conclusion of our study, we will contact each of the participants to provide a synopsis of our findings. We also hope to eventually create a publicly-accessible website devoted to exploring different perspectives on the imaginative geographies of the Salish Sea.

For more information, please contact me by email at tucker77@uvic.ca or by phone at 250-721-4647.

If you wish to participate, please provide the following information on this form or by emailing:
Name (Last, First)
Native American/Tribal/First Nations/Indigenous affiliation
Email Address
Phone number and best time to reach you

Thank you,
Brian

Salish Sea Map - Permission granted


]]>
itsacuener1x@gmail.com (Brian Tucker posted by Rosemarie McKeon) Latest Sat, 14 Aug 2010 17:34:14 +0000
FREE GIS Books to Indigenous Mapping Network members http://indigenousmapping.net/the-news/gissolutions/219-gisbooks.html http://indigenousmapping.net/the-news/gissolutions/219-gisbooks.html
Please contact Peg directly, at moxyfruv@NMSU.EDU . If you are a nonprofit, Peg will ask permission to send the books w/o charging for postage.
However, If the organization is not a 'non-profit' or you have the ability to pay for postage, please send a fed ex number if possible - that is the easiest way.
Again, please contact Peg Gronemeyer directly and immediately while supplies last:
Peg Gronemeyer
GIS Specialist
USDA/ARS - Jornada Experimental Range
New Mexico State University
Box 30003 MSC 3JER
Las Cruces, NM  88003-8003
Office ph: 575-646-7086
Email: moxyfruv@nmsu.edu

Here is her list as of Monday, August 9, 2010:

BOOK TITLE
COPYRIGHT ~PG# VERSION #COPIES CATEGORY
Using ArcView 3D Analyst 1997 120
1 3D
Using ArcGIS 3D Analyst 2000 200
1 3D
Using ArcCatalog 1999 200 ArcGIS 8 1 AC
Using ArcCatalog 2001 285
1 AC
Using rcMap 1999 560 ArcGIS 8 1 AM
Using ArcMap 2000 520
1 AM
What is ArcGIS? 2001 45
2 ArcGIS
Getting Started with ArcGIS 2002 250
1 ArcGIS
What is ArcGIS? ArcGIS 9 2004 120 ArcGIS 9 1 ArcGIS
ArcLogistics Route 2000 190
1 ArcLogistics
ArcPress version 1.0 for Unix 1995 120
1 ArcPress
ArcTools 1995 975 ArcInfo 7.0.4 1 ArcTools
Using ArcToolbox 1999 100
2 Arctlbx
Using ArcView GIS 1996 350
2 AV
ArcView Dialog Designer 1997 75
3 AV
Advanced ArcView GIS 1999 120
1 AV
Introducing Avenue 1994 90
1 Ave
Using Avenue 1996 230
2 Ave
ArcIMS 3.1 Install Guide 2001 200
1 IMS
Documentation Updates for Arc/INFO 1997 315 ArcInfo 7.1.1 2 INFO
Using Model Builder 2000 180
1 MB
Using ArcView Network Analyst 1996 150
1 Network An
Using ArcView Spatial Analyst 1996 150
2 Spatial An
Using ArcGIS Spatial Analyst 2001 230
1 Spatial An
Using ArcGIS Survey Analyst 2002 300
1 Survey An
Using ArcView Tracking Analyst 1998 110
1 Track An
Graphics Devices Guide 1998 170
2
]]>
itsacuener1x@gmail.com (Rosemarie McKeon) GIS Solutions Mon, 09 Aug 2010 15:51:08 +0000
Second Call for Tribal Nominations to the National Geospatial Advisory Committee http://indigenousmapping.net/the-news/latestnews/218-tribalcallngac.html http://indigenousmapping.net/the-news/latestnews/218-tribalcallngac.html DEADLINE is AUGUST 22 for nominations made through Indigenous Mapping Network. Click here for the online nomination form. With this form, you can elect to have your nomination remain anonymous and you can nominate several Native American Geospatial Champions (NAGC for NGAC).

The National Geospatial Advisory Committee (NGAC),  a Federal Advisory Committee sponsored by the Department of the Interior under the Federal Advisory Committee Act,  reports to the Chair of the Federal Geographic Data Committee (FGDC - the Secretary of the Interior or designee). The scope and objectives of the NGAC described in the NGAC Charter http://www.fgdc.gov/ngac/national-geospatial-advisory-committee-charter-1.pdf
 
Summary: “The Committee will provide advice and recommendations related to management of Federal and national geospatial programs, the development of the National Spatial Data Infrastructure, and the implementation of Office of Management and Budget Circular A-16 and Executive Order 12906. The Committee will review and comment upon geospatial policy and management issues and will provide a forum to convey views representative of non-federal stakeholders in the geospatial community.”

More information on the appointment process and nomination is available on the NGAC site at:  http://www.fgdc.gov/ngac/interior-department-seeks-ngac-nominations . Deadline to submit through the site is August 24.

The press release is available at:
 http://www.doi.gov/news/pressreleases/Department-of-the-Interior-Seeks-Nominations-for-National-Geospatial-Advisory-Committee.cfm

Current NGAC members are at: http://www.fgdc.gov/ngac/membership


]]>
itsacuener1x@gmail.com (Rosemarie McKeon) Latest Sat, 07 Aug 2010 04:07:16 +0000
CFP Ways of Knowing: Dismantling the Divide between Social and Natural Sciences in Weather & Climate Research http://indigenousmapping.net/the-news/latestnews/217-waysofknowing.html http://indigenousmapping.net/the-news/latestnews/217-waysofknowing.html “Ways of Knowing: Traditional Knowledge as Key Insight for Dealing with Environmental Change.”

Regardless of time and place, our lives are played out against a background of weather and climate. Some of the most fundamental elements of the human experience have to do with weather and climate: how we adapt to them, how we make them meaningful, and, of course, how we talk about them. Research from the social sciences seeks to understand how “Our complex forms of collective life influence the way that we are affected by weather and climate, creating both forms of vulnerability and capacities to reduce impacts” (Strauss and Orlove, Weather Climate, Culture, 2003).

Social science disciplines, with their attention to human society and relationships between individuals and groups, stand to make meaningful contributions to research on weather and climate. We seek to facilitate these contributions by opening pathways of communication between disciplines, and between natural and social scientists, so that our respective theories, methodologies, and epistemologies – how we know what we know - can be respected beyond our own fields. Understanding the value and rigor of each other’s approaches is an essential first step to enhancing communication between scholars working at the interface of weather, climate, and society.

Our session will bring together scholars from diverse social science disciplines who are working at the interface of weather, climate, and society to engage with the meteorological community and present on how their theories, methodologies, and epistemologies result in rigorous research findings. We are particularly interested in contributions that display how these practitioners approach their research and the types of knowledge they produce, along with examples of research results resulting from these efforts. In the spirit of the meeting theme, communication, we will have a two-part session. In the first part a panel of social scientists will respond to questions about their disciplinary approach, followed by research presentations that show how different epistemologies have been put into practice in the second part. Please submit abstracts for an oral or poster presentation based on an aspect of your research that highlights your epistemological, methodological, or theoretical approach.

Please first contact Heather Lazrus (Lazrus@ou.edu) and Randy Peppler (rpeppler@ou.edu) with your intentions (title and abstract) if you are interested in participating in this session. The call for papers for the annual meeting can be found at http://www.ametsoc.org/meet/annual/call.html - scroll down to “Sixth Symposium on Policy and Socio-economic Research.” Abstracts should then be submitted electronically by August 2, 2010, at http://ams.confex.com/ams/91Annual/oasys.epl (scroll down to the appropriate link for this symposium: Sixth Symposium on Policy and Socio-Economic Research). It is important for you to coordinate with us so that we can make sure your paper is placed in our session.

An abstract fee of $95 (payable by credit card or purchase order) is charged at the time of submission (refundable only if abstract is not accepted). The $95 abstract fee includes the submission of your abstract, the posting of your extended abstract, and the uploading and recording of your presentation, which will be archived on the AMS Web site.

Authors of accepted presentations will be notified via e-mail by late-September 2010. All extended abstracts are to be submitted electronically and will be available on-line via the web. Instructions for formatting extended abstracts will be posted on the web site. Extended abstracts (file size up to 3 MB) are highly encouraged to be uploaded before the conference. Late extended abstracts or changes to posted extended abstracts can be made up until 23 February 2011. All abstracts, extended abstracts and presentations will be available on the AMS Web site at no cost.

We look forward to seeing you in Seattle!

Note from July 30, 2010

This is a reminder that the abstract submission deadline for the AMS Sixth Symposium on Policy and Socio-Economic Research, and in particular our session "Ways of Knowing: Dismantling the Divide", is rapidly approaching, though we have it on reasonable authority that this deadline will be extended to August 13. Nevertheless, please consider submitting an abstract for our session as soon as possible. As the Call below indicates, please let Heather Lazrus and I know that you are doing so, and as an added piece of information, when you are on the AMS abstract submission website (http://ams.confex.com/ams/91Annual/oasys.epl), please select the "Topic" called "Policy and Socio-Economic Research Methods and their Applications." Best, Heather Lazrus and Randy Peppler Randy A. Peppler Associate Director, NOAA OAR Cooperative Institute for Mesoscale Meteorological Studies Director, ARM Climate Research Facility Data Quality Office PhD Candidate, Department of Geography The University of Oklahoma 120 David L. Boren Blvd., Suite 2100 Norman, OK 73072-7304 Voice: 405-325-6667; Cell: 405-822-7636; FAX: 405-325-3098

]]>
itsacuener1x@gmail.com (Randy Peppler posted by R McKeon) Latest Fri, 30 Jul 2010 14:11:50 +0000
Tribal Representation: FGDC Recruiting National Geospatial Advisory Committee Members http://indigenousmapping.net/the-news/latestnews/216-tribalrepfgdc.html http://indigenousmapping.net/the-news/latestnews/216-tribalrepfgdc.html
The email below was forwarded with this note : "Perhaps you know of an energetic Native Geo-spatial practitioner that would be an asset to this organization and Native people in this regard?


Greetings all,

With the retirement of Bonnie Gallahan, Federal Geographic Data Committee's Tribal Liaison, I send this email. I recall our path crossing and found our meetings memorable and enriching. I do have a favor to ask each of you.

Please help the Federal Geographic Data Committee and the Department of Interior who are seeking nominations for the National Geospatial Advisory Committee. In this case we are specifically seeking Tribal representation.


The National Geospatial Advisory Committee (NGAC),  a Federal Advisory Committee sponsored by the Department of the Interior under the Federal Advisory Committee Act,  reports to the Chair of the Federal Geographic Data Committee (the Secretary of the Interior or designee). The scope and objectives of the NGAC described in the NGAC Charter http://www.fgdc.gov/ngac/national-geospatial-advisory-committee-charter-1.pdf/p> are summarized as: “The Committee will provide advice and recommendations related to management of Federal and national geospatial programs, the development of the National Spatial Data Infrastructure, and the implementation of Office of Management and Budget Circular A-16 and Executive Order 12906. The Committee will review and comment upon geospatial policy and management issues and will provide a forum to convey views representative of non-federal stakeholders in the geospatial community.”

Attached below is the press release announcing the call for nominations.  It is also posted at:
http://www.doi.gov/news/pressreleases/Department-of-the-Interior-Seeks-

Additional information about the nomination process is on the website at: http://www.fgdc.gov/ngac/interior-department-seeks-ngac-nominations

Current members of NGAC are:
http://www.fgdc.gov/ngac/membership

Please distribute this information.

Your assistance is appreciated,

Sharon Shin

Federal Geographic Data Committee Secretariat Metadata Coordinator
Denver Federal Center
P.O. Box 25046    Mail Stop 302
Building 810 Room 8000
Denver, Colorado 80225-0946
303-202-4230 fax-303-202-4229
www.fgdc.gov


]]>
itsacuener1x@gmail.com (Rosemarie McKeon) Latest Tue, 27 Jul 2010 22:17:42 +0000
2010 ESRI International User Conference.- Tribal / Indigenous Program http://indigenousmapping.net/the-news/latestnews/215-esri2010tribalprogram.html http://indigenousmapping.net/the-news/latestnews/215-esri2010tribalprogram.html ESRI 2010 Tribal / Indigenous Session Descriptions
Tuesday, July 13, 2010 Room 30-C

Managing Tribal Lands and Resources 8:30-9:45AM


Indigenous Communities face a wide array of pressures both internal and external on their lands and natural resources. This session will focus on the ways Indigenous / Tribal Communities across the country are using GIS technology to define and protect their lands and natural resources.

Presenters: Sandra Gaskell, RPA (Southern Sierra Miwulk Nation) Anthony 'Tony' Hartrich (Quinault Indian Nation)

Presentations: Indigenous Fisheries Historically Managed Along Sierra Nevada Treaty River Miles Sandra Gaskell, RPA, Southern Sierra Miwuk Nation Danette Johnson, GIS, Southern Sierra Miwuk Nation Michael Martin, Ph.D., Merced Flyfishing

Geographic Information System mapping of the culminating inventory of Traditional Cultural Properties of the lineage groups of the Southern Sierra Miwuk Nation, were overlaid Treaty M, N, and E maps to reveal which existing 1850 river crossings and fishing endeavors were managed along the river miles of

the proposed Treaty areas. Treaty areas had boundaries defined by rivers where fisheries and crossings were affected by dams, ferries, blasting, and hydraulic mining. The historic extent of the seasonal anadromous salmon and steelhead runs in the reaches of the five rivers; the Stanislaus, the Tuolumne, the Merced, Chowchilla, and the Fresno Rivers were recorded with harvesting history compared to the river data of temperatures, gradients, and climate zones of the eco-regions. Information surrounding the lives of indigenous fishermen, the system of family use routes crossing the rivers, and indigenous fishing technology was used at the locations on specific species of fish.

GIS Support for Long-term Sockeye Salmon Habitat Restoration, Quinault River Anthony 'Tony' Hartrich, Quinault Indian Nation

The side channels of the Upper Quinault River have been the traditional spawning habitat for the Quinault Indian Nation's signature sockeye salmon - the Quinault Blueback. Much of this habitat has been lost or degraded. Currently there is a long-term effort underway to restore this habitat, involving the use of engineered logjams. An initial pilot project involving the placment of thirteen of these ELJ's has been put in place at Alder Creek. This presentation seeks to show how GIS has been used to analyze and visualize the geomorphic changes in the Upper Quinault's floodplain and how it is being used to plan further developments.

Realizing the Tribal Enterprise 10:15-11:30A

Tribal GIS programs typically support a wide array of core government business functions ranging from planning, cadastre, natural resource management, cultural resource management, transportation and increasingly, health and economic development. Increasingly Tribal Governments are leveraging enterprise GIS architectures to streamline the flow of information through the tribal government. This session will feature two Tribal GIS Programs who are realizing, and helping define, Enterprise GIS for Tribal Government.

Presenters:

]David Wyatt (Eastern Band of Cherokee Indians)

Beau Barela (Ysleta del Sur Pueblo)

Presentations:

Fundamental Tribal Government role providing efficient services to Tribal Community, David Wyatt, Eastern Band of Cherokee Indians

Eastern Band of Cherokee Indians (EBCI) Governmental departments are challenged with efficient and accurate services to Tribal members: decision support, permitting, services, applications, land management and departmental collaboration with Federal/State. EBCI developed an enterprise GIS ‘Tribal-Integrated-Geographic-Information-System (IGIS)” to serve as the central repository of geographically related government services/business workflow. GIS is the core component of improving workflows in the services driven economy. The IGIS system supports web-services/based applications for land evaluation, land records management, economic assessment/planning, development review, inspection, management, permitting. IGIS integrates business requirements/evaluation by housing, utilities/engineering, cultural/environmental and integration of business, archeological/environmental/disaster planning and EMS/e911 services. IGIS serves fundamental governmental roles by providing efficient services to Cherokee. IGIS supports:

Transparency

Interagency/inter-government information exchange with USDOI/BIA/BLM and state/local governments

Interagency/inter-government federal/state information exchange with DOI, BIA, BLM, EPA, USACE, USFWS, NHP, reporting requirements for water-quality, wetlands, flood management, environmental permitting, NEPA, sustainable land and natural resource management goals.

Interoperability with Electronic-Document-Management-System(EDMS)

Tribal Enterprise GIS Beau Barela, Ysleta del Sur Pueblo

This presentation gives voice to the use of Enterprise GIS within the Ysleta del Sur Pueblo Indian Tribe. We will discuss how the Tribe is benefiting from the use of GIS and what software programs/platforms

are being utilized in an effort to effectively disperse GIS data throughout the organization. Our use of ArcInfo, ArcSDE, ArcServer, and Erdas Imagine will be touched upon, hopefully giving ideas to other Tribal governments. We will also discuss some of the creative ways we involved the entire community in the use of GIS and GPS technology.

GIS for Tribal Government 1:30-2:45PM 

Like any local government, Tribal governments are faced with many challenges in providing effective community services. GIS is increasingly used in support of many diverse Tribal Government services beyond the traditional project level GIS programs. This session will showcase innovative applications of GIS across Tribal Government.

Presenters:

Danette Johnson (Southern Sierra Miwuk Nation Yosemite, CA)

Grant Timentwa (Muckleshoot Indian Tribe)

Presentations:

Real Time Mapping, Populating Boundaries of Yosemite California Treaties, Danette Johnson, Southern Sierra Miwuk Nation Yosemite, CA Anthony Brochini, Southern Sierra Miwuk Nation Sandra Gaskell, ARC Archaeology

Mapping the historic boundary marker references of each of the congressional maps from the eighteen unratified Treaties of 1851–1852 between the California Indians and the United States government required research to correlate data to visualize their locations. When the congressional treaty maps were compared to remnant family use tracts of the Southern Sierra Miwuk Nation defined by Stephen Powers (1866), they confirmed the literature review, family oral history, and population data reflecting existing occupation sites of 1850 inhabited inside the proposed Treaty areas. The value of retaining population loci has been beneficial in the preservation of traditional cultural properties found within them. The ethnographic villages confirmed through this activity, aligned resources which were to be depleted by the

inflation of the populations located within the Treaty M, N, and E boundaries when the outlying lands were evacuated to provide space for colonization by the growing Gold Rush California immigrants.

Using the Image Server Extension Grant Timentwa, Muckleshoot Indian Tribe

The Image Server extension for ArcGIS Server allows users to directly publish large image collections without extension preprocessing. The Muckleshoot Tribe is using Image Server to serve imagery from the National Agriculture Imagery Program (NAIP) for large areas of Western Washington. Image Server has simplified the dissemination of these image sets and has increased the productivity of staff who need quick and easy access to this data. This workshop will discuss tips and tricks for administering Image Server and will have a demo on the capabilities of the extension.

Managing Tribal Lands and Resources II 3:15-4:30PM

Indigenous Communities face a wide array of pressures both internal and external on their lands and natural resources. This session will focus on the ways Indigenous / Tribal Communities across the country are using GIS technology to define and protect their lands and natural resources.

Presenters:

Anne McTavish (SFSU)

Neli Nelson (Organized Village of Kasaan)

Presentations:

Putting Wintu Indian Tribe of California on the Map, Anne McTavish, SFSU

Various scholars, including ethnographers, linguists, and archaeologists, have published maps and descriptions of the Indian tribes in California. C. Hart Merriam and Alfred Kroeber disagreed about the location of the northern boundary of the Wintu. Using contemporary tools and data sets, the historic disagreement was re-examined and the analysis showed there is still much to be learned from the data. Anne McTavish will discuss the methodology used to examine and compare existing historic maps and

create new layers from text. The research was done as part of her Geography MA thesis at San Francisco State University.

OVK Brownfields Program Neli Nelson, Organized Village of Kasaan

The Organized Village of Kasaan (OVK) is located on Prince of Wales Island in Southeast Alaska. The OVK Brownfields Program has been operating since 2008. Brownfields are “Sites that are underutilized or not in active use, on land that is either contaminated or perceived as contaminated.” The Kasaan Bay Watershed Council has identified 33 possible Brownfields sites in the Kasaan Bay Watershed. These are mine sites and prospects that were active from the early 1900’s through the 1970’s. As part of this ongoing project, a file geodatabase of spatial information in the project area was developed. This database includes cadastral information, imagery, roads, and potential Brownfields sites (among other layers). This presentation will cover the basics of the OVK Brownfields program as well as how the GIS database was developed and then used to create an online interactive mapping application showing project sites as well as photos.

Contact Info:

Please contact David Gadsden or Anne Taylor with any questions.
David Gadsden dgadsen@esri.com (360) 754-4747 x8911
Anne Taylor anne_taylor@esri.com (303) 449-7779 x8276
]]>
itsacuener1x@gmail.com (David Gadsden ESRI posted by RMcKeon) Latest Sun, 11 Jul 2010 21:58:16 +0000